2024 MCAS Cherry Point Air Show

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 am

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm
9:00 am

Gates Open
10:20 am

2d MAW Band/National Anthem
Invocation
Vet Jump Team
Opening Remarks
10:50 am

Aerobatic Performances Begin
Steve Covington
Steve Covington vs. Hot Streak II Jet Truck
Jack Aces
Hubie Tolson
11:35 am

Harrier Level III Demo
RJ Gritter
MV-22 Osprey
Tom Larkin
F-35B
Robert Schmidle
Vet Jump Team
1:20 pm

F-22 Raptor Demo
RJ Gritter
Randy Ball
Randy Ball vs. Hot Streak II Jet Truck
MAGTF Demo
2:45/3:00 pm

Blue Angels Demo
4:00 pm

Air Show Concludes
https://www.cherrypointairshow.com/information/schedule
This show is consistently underrated and is one of the best shows in the entire country! Woooooooo!!
0 x

JonathanW

Post by JonathanW » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Does anyone know if I can access the base through a different gate and park closer to the show with my CAC?
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

JonathanW wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm Does anyone know if I can access the base through a different gate and park closer to the show with my CAC?
The previous show, Slocum gate remained open to people with CAC access; however, the general administration parking lot is right next to the display area, so idk if it’s really necessary. The one advantage is you could skip traffic, especially departing traffic.
0 x

JonathanW

Post by JonathanW » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 pm

awal2049 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm
JonathanW wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm Does anyone know if I can access the base through a different gate and park closer to the show with my CAC?
The previous show, Slocum gate remained open to people with CAC access; however, the general administration parking lot is right next to the display area, so idk if it’s really necessary. The one advantage is you could skip traffic, especially departing traffic.
Thank you! That's good to know.
0 x

rcoomer

Post by rcoomer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 am

I just found out about this show, and now planning the 9 hour drive to see it. I'll have to stop and gets some crabs in the OBX on the way home, lol. The harrier and Osprey demos will make it worth while for me if I can manage a few decent shots. Everything else will be a plus. I've not see either perform at a show before.

Looking at tickets, almost everything is sold out other than general, but most shows, unless there is a pit, general seems to the better option unless going really expensive. Probably my only option other than maybe the stands on Sunday. But it seems a lot of shows don't allow standing (bleachers) or moving forward for photos in the ticketed event spaces. (Andrews, Oceana, Dayton). No clue about this show and their rules.

Where is a good place to photograph the show? I tried to find a map, but the best I could find was 2016, and it doesn't look like there is any general admission access to the flight line? Seems to be all special seating/clubs/chalets. So I assume general is just looking over their heads.

Lens wise, I can cover anything from 16mm to about 1200mm if needed.
0 x
Robert Coomer
Fine Art Photography

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:36 pm

rcoomer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 am I just found out about this show, and now planning the 9 hour drive to see it. I'll have to stop and gets some crabs in the OBX on the way home, lol. The harrier and Osprey demos will make it worth while for me if I can manage a few decent shots. Everything else will be a plus. I've not see either perform at a show before.

Looking at tickets, almost everything is sold out other than general, but most shows, unless there is a pit, general seems to the better option unless going really expensive. Probably my only option other than maybe the stands on Sunday. But it seems a lot of shows don't allow standing (bleachers) or moving forward for photos in the ticketed event spaces. (Andrews, Oceana, Dayton). No clue about this show and their rules.

Where is a good place to photograph the show? I tried to find a map, but the best I could find was 2016, and it doesn't look like there is any general admission access to the flight line? Seems to be all special seating/clubs/chalets. So I assume general is just looking over their heads.

Lens wise, I can cover anything from 16mm to about 1200mm if needed.
I was last there in 2018 and there was plenty of open area to sit. However, you better get your parking pass now before they shut it off if they haven’t already. You will not get on base if you don’t reserve one unless yo have a military Id or are media.
1 x

rcoomer

Post by rcoomer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:56 pm

Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:36 pm you better get your parking pass now before they shut it off if they haven’t already. You will not get on base if you don’t reserve one unless yo have a military Id or are media.
Thanks! I got my vehicle pass for both days. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting Flightline, Afterburner, LZ or bleacher seats for Sunday, with the option of not using them if they aren't any better than just general admission.
Last edited by rcoomer on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Robert Coomer
Fine Art Photography

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:51 pm

rcoomer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:56 pm Thanks! I got my vehicle pass for both days. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting bleacher seats for Sunday, with the option of not using them if they aren't any better than just general admission.
My opinion on bleachers in general is they are a good option. As a man on the shorter side, being able to see over the people in front of me is a plus. Having an elevated view will give you a better perspective of depth and creates a more enjoyable show as a result. And it's a good price point if you don't care about food or being at the very front of the crowd.

That said, this year the bleachers are far crowd left, closer to the C-130 hangars. This will create a massive visual obstruction on your left, which for something like Randy Ball or a Blue Angel sneak pass, might completely ruin any chance of a good shot.
1 x

rcoomer

Post by rcoomer » Wed May 01, 2024 2:47 am

Thanks! I also was just told by another photographer to stick with general admission because the premium seats are difficult to shoot from. I will have better luck just getting there early and try and get as close to center as I can.
0 x
Robert Coomer
Fine Art Photography

mghjg

Post by mghjg » Wed May 01, 2024 3:47 pm

C172crapbox wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:18 pm
Bulldogs851 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 pm If I arrive on Friday, is there a good place to watch statics arrive off base? Thank you
Yes, across the street from the Cunningham gate and main gate is a community college, library and a park with a decent view.
The shows active runway in 2021 was 14L and 32R, therefore how does this location work for arriving aircraft or the practice show on Friday. This location is far from the active show runway.

Is there a good photography location for 14L and 32R to get the practice show on Friday.
Thanks
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”