First State Airshow 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:21 pm

Here's my "late to the party" take on this past weekend. Atlantic City, Dover, and McGuire are three events where it's not just my wife and I or just myself, but a good chunk of the immediate and extended family come along. My wife and I drove down Wednesday night and stayed less than a mile from the North Gate. Everyone else (father, brother, and his two sons) came down Friday night.

Thursday was a solo day at the AMC Museum today. Got to see a lot, including what I was told were three C-5M demos. It was pretty impressive. Saw some of the static display aircraft come in... two C-130s (one from New Castle and a J-model from god knows where, heard someone say Dyess, but it had ZERO markings on it), KC-46 from McGuire, B-52 from Barksdale, C-17 from Charleston (which parked by us, I assume it's the demo bird and they're not using a Dover bird?), a couple F-15s from New Orleans and then a third later, and two Strike Eagles (Seymour Johnson?). Some civilian stuff, too. Ended up leaving the museum around 3 and went to a spot off Route 1 that was great for Runway 1 arrivals. Saw some performers come in (B-25, Patrick, the MiG-17, Rob) and then the F-35As checked the base out before landing on 32 late in the day followed by a KC-135. All in all it was a very good day.

My wife and I were invited onto the airshow grounds through a friend stationed at Dover. We had a good time checking out the static displays and seeing all the performers who flew that day. The C-5M demo was much more impressive from on the show grounds than from the Museum! The F-15s and C-17 didn't fly that day; maybe they had an altitude requirement for their demos? The F-35A demo was f'n awesome with all the vapor. She put on a fine display all three days, that's for sure.

We all braved the weather Saturday morning and went on base; I'm honestly surprised how many people did show up that day. I'm even more surprised that the rain did let up and the clouds were high enough that they were even able to fly in the afternoon. Personally, I thought we'd have no flying. Besides the rain, I'd say the biggest letdown of the day was the speech that Senator Carper gave; he turned his whole spiel into some sort of political message. Not what I wanted to hear. Back to the flying... I thought CultOfTheWyvern did a great job with showing what Saturday looked like with his photos. The pyro was certainly unexpected during the MiG demo, Scooter, Rob Holland's routine, but expected for the F-35A. Patrick, Rob, the MiG, and Scooter all flew great demos.

The F-15 demo... it was tame but loud. I do love seeing pattern work with any aircraft, especially fighters, so that was a real nice touch to the demo. I suppose what we all saw last year at McGuire was something we'll never see again anywhere. Two F-15s were to partake but only one flew; the second one from what I was told had a major issue that kept it grounded. I still would love to see the Bayou Militia a few more times up this way (and yes I know they'll be at other shows but not ones we have plans for).

We did the same on Sunday and were among the first to get on base and on the airshow grounds. It was great seeing the Golden Knights finally jump, the Jersey Jerks and Kevin Russo flew great demos as they always do, Hot Streak running twice, Precision Exotics were certainly busy each day plus racing Patrick McAlee, Scooter flew a fine demo in Quicksilver, Rob flew great even though his full routine was cut short, a good showing from the warbird segment, a great demo from the MiG-17 (that wasn't Randy by the way according to those around us, I knew better when I saw which MiG it was), the C-5, C-17, and KC-135 all flew great demos. I'll question shooting off pyro for the C-5 demo! Mach flew another amazing low show demo with the F-35A and we finally had a Heritage Flight with Jimmy and Bald Eagle. All in all Sunday was a great day. The weather for those three days just reminded me of McGuire last year, though we flew 100% more flying on Saturday at Dover than Saturday at McGuire.

My father, my wife, and I walked much of the static display on Saturday during the rain delay and got some shirts and coins from the B-52 crew as well as some F-35A Demo Team swag. We completely forgot about Rob Holland's tent... oh well.

And, with that, my/our 2024 season is finally off and running. Jones Beach is next, although I don't think we can swing more than one day up there.

One more thing... when we walked towards the F-15Es, F-15C, and F-16 there were dozens of "no photography area" signs in and along the hot ramp. They were around the two Bayou Militia F-15Cs and (on Sunday) all of the warbirds and civilian performers were parked there. It made zero sense especially considering you have performers who would be begging and pleading you to take pictures of their aircraft.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Tue May 21, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

butch5710

Post by butch5710 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:36 pm

One more thing... when we walked towards the F-15Es, F-15C, and F-16 there were dozens of "no photography area" signs in and along the hot ramp. They were around the two Bayou Militia F-15Cs and (on Sunday) all of the warbirds and civilian performers were parked there. It made zero sense especially considering you have performers who would be begging and pleading you to take pictures of their aircraft.
Some of the people guarding that "No Photography Area" of the flightline were allowing people on Sunday to take pics of the F-15s from a certain angle. Apparently the issue was with something in the background on the airfield (not sure if it was a building or something else). I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy about it, but if you walked down the flightline, there was a practically open view anyway -- without the signs. I didn't get the point of it.

Different situation, but it reminds me of a number of years ago at McGuire when they had a vehicle on display (I don't recall the type now) with signs plastered over it saying 'Do Not Photograph this Vehicle'. If you're that concerned with it being photographed, why even have it on display at an open house?

Back to the show, I enjoyed the day overall. I do wish that more of the aircraft (KC-135, F-15 takeoff) were able to utilize the runway in front of the crowd, but I supposed the winds determined that. I was glad that at least the C-5 and F-35 were able to.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:54 pm

butch5710 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:36 pm Some of the people guarding that "No Photography Area" of the flightline were allowing people on Sunday to take pics of the F-15s from a certain angle. Apparently the issue was with something in the background on the airfield (not sure if it was a building or something else). I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy about it, but if you walked down the flightline, there was a practically open view anyway -- without the signs. I didn't get the point of it.

Different situation, but it reminds me of a number of years ago at McGuire when they had a vehicle on display (I don't recall the type now) with signs plastered over it saying 'Do Not Photograph this Vehicle'. If you're that concerned with it being photographed, why even have it on display at an open house?

Back to the show, I enjoyed the day overall. I do wish that more of the aircraft (KC-135, F-15 takeoff) were able to utilize the runway in front of the crowd, but I supposed the winds determined that. I was glad that at least the C-5 and F-35 were able to.
I know what buildings you're talking about. They've been there for quite a while. Heck, there was even a 747 parked back in that area two years ago. I was told it's (redacted). Anyone who filmed the airshow probably has them in their video; same with photos. As for McGuire, I've heard stories about people being arrested or detained for photographing certain static display aircraft. That's for a different thread and/or to be told over a few beers!

As for the runway thing, I agree with you. It comes down to the winds and to the fact that the runway in front of you, 14/32, has a massive displaced threshold for 14 ops. Had they used 14 for landing they'd have something like 7,500 feet of runway remaining, even though it's over 12,500 feet long. Using 1 or 19 gives you over 9,500 feet of runway.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Wed May 22, 2024 4:21 pm

If it was buildings they wanted to hide, they should not put any jets in that area.

There was lots of empty crowd line at show center and to the left.

When the F-22 Demo was there in 2019, they were at show center and you could take all the photos you wanted.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”