2024 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach Park

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
mleslie5

Post by mleslie5 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 am

Chris S wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:28 am but I'm not sure if the Legacy Flight will be flown during the Friday practice show also?
I don't know if there's any way of knowing for sure ahead of time. I've only ever been to practice day at one show and the USAF 22/51 combo did indeed fly that day.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:36 pm

Chris S wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:28 am If all goes well, the Navy Legacy Flight should be Louis Horschel flying his Corsair with the F-35C Demo team,
but I'm not sure if the Legacy Flight will be flown during the Friday practice show also?
Thank you Chris!

I can vouch that sometimes in this area - and I'm sure many of you can back me up on this - that Heritage Flights sometimes don't take place on the Friday practices, especially when Jim Beasley is involved because of his schedule. Heck, it's rare for him to keep the airplane at a show site overnight!
0 x

laka700

Post by laka700 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:28 pm

do you know if it happens both saturday and sunday though?
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:50 pm

laka700 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:28 pm do you know if it happens both saturday and sunday though?
If what happens?

If the act is on the schedule then yes, it'll take place. Of course it's all weather dependent and as long as the aircraft doesn't break. I personally don't have a schedule and the person I typically would get it from isn't at the airshow. I plan on coming up tomorrow morning (wife said hell no to an early wakeup call) but without a schedule in hand.

If Louis' Corsair is indeed sitting at FRG, I'd expect him flying in the Legacy Flight unless the plane breaks.

If Jimmy is flying back and forth each day from his airport, he'll make a good faith effort to be there each day as long as the weather between his home airport outside Philadelphia to Long Island is ideal. It's a short trip from home to LI and back and he'd do it each day if able. ACC says Jones Beach has a Heritage Flight and this site says no, but I tend to side with ACC on this matter.
0 x

laka700

Post by laka700 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:04 pm

alr thanks
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:24 pm

I take that back. Jimmy is on the ground at FRG.
0 x

Ryan138811

Post by Ryan138811 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:34 am

Practice was nice, thing I hate about bethpage is that if you don’t get to the end of the beach usually a haze on the photos, but definitely a nice practice the pavehawks landed right behind show center in the little landing pads, and a10 popped a lot probably 40ish flares.
0 x

zachtwo

Post by zachtwo » Sat May 25, 2024 1:24 am

Ryan138811 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:34 am Practice was nice, thing I hate about bethpage is that if you don’t get to the end of the beach usually a haze on the photos, but definitely a nice practice the pavehawks landed right behind show center in the little landing pads, and a10 popped a lot probably 40ish flares.
Where would you suggest to be on the beach for the best pictures, the ends as you implied above? This is my first time at this airshow.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 am

zachtwo wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:24 am Where would you suggest to be on the beach for the best pictures, the ends as you implied above? This is my first time at this airshow.
Disclaimer: I am not a photographer. I use my binoculars. BUT, I have always plopped a chair either to the left or right of the water tower (looking out towards the water). The western end (show right) would do you good for some of the passes from the jets. There's always a crap ton of photographers on the beach all up and down the beach. Boardwalk, too. Wherever you go it'll be backlit since you face damn near south all day long. I've seen some fantastic shots from the beach today across social media.

I'm heading to bed. Got an airshow to go to tomorrow.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Sat May 25, 2024 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Chris S

Post by Chris S » Sat May 25, 2024 3:14 am

passedgas46 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:50 pm
laka700 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:28 pm do you know if it happens both saturday and sunday though?
If what happens?

If the act is on the schedule then yes, it'll take place. Of course it's all weather dependent and as long as the aircraft doesn't break. I personally don't have a schedule and the person I typically would get it from isn't at the airshow. I plan on coming up tomorrow morning (wife said hell no to an early wakeup call) but without a schedule in hand.

If Louis' Corsair is indeed sitting at FRG, I'd expect him flying in the Legacy Flight unless the plane breaks.

If Jimmy is flying back and forth each day from his airport, he'll make a good faith effort to be there each day as long as the weather between his home airport outside Philadelphia to Long Island is ideal. It's a short trip from home to LI and back and he'd do it each day if able. ACC says Jones Beach has a Heritage Flight and this site says no, but I tend to side with ACC on this matter.
I actually heard back from Louis cause Jones Beach was on the Navy Legacy Flight's website as a scheduled show,
unfortunately he had an update for me today that he wouldn't be flying the Corsair at Jones Beach this weekend.
Not sure exactly what happened but it's been while since Jones Beach has had a Legacy flight and that's a bummer!!
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”