Airshow London 2017

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
JetChuter

Post by JetChuter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi everyone. I haven't been all that active on the forum, but I noticed some of you having some questions regarding tickets. First off, I will always say to buy in advance because you never know what we may have available at the gate. Not to say they will be sold out, but it's better to have in advance. If any of the days rain out, we will tackle that as we did last year. We currently have two locations in London, Ontario where you can purchase in person ---> they are listed below. Tickets will be the same price at gate as they are online - and we don't anticipate a sell out for say. But again, I encourage you buy in advance so there's no disappointments at the gate the day of.

TICKETS IN LONDON:

NORTH:
2115 Aldersbrook Road (at Wonderland Rd. N.), London, N6G 3X1.

Tel : 519-488-1590

Monday – Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:30 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm

SOUTH:
9 Southdale Road East, London, N6C 6B4.

Tel : 519-963-0411

Monday – Friday: 10:00 am – 5:30 pm
Saturday: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Sunday: 12:00 pm – 4:30 pm

I would like to address another issue that I know people will be wondering about. Thursday/Friday arrivals & Monday departures - I would like to say that please don't make plans based on you the fact you'll have access to our word network. We've been notified of very strict restrictions regarding this matter. Our social media team is waiting for the finalized details to post, which I would like to do ASAP. This year will be very very tough to park and watch aircraft landing & departing - so I warn you to make those plans on your discretion. As I said - more info on this will be available soon.

We are very responsive on Social Media as myself and our team monitor these accounts all day long. We encourage you ask as many questions as possible - we want everyone to be in the loop prior to the show. Loving the enthusiasm everyone! 13 Days until the loudest weekend of the year. :D
0 x
Cheers,
Nick

AirshowLondon.com
652 Elizabeth Street Unit 119
London, Ontario

mstares

Post by mstares » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 pm

Nick,

First of all congratulations on last year's show. I flew up from Newfoundland, and it was worth every penny. The organization, line-up, lay out and light(except Saturday, but hey that's beyond your control) were all great. My experience last year and the announced line up for this year have convinced me to travel up for the show again.

While I signed up for all available photopass days last year, I shot the Thursday and the Monday from outside. This initially was due to travel timing issues but it worked out well as I could shoot earlier departures/arrivals with the sun at my back, along the northern perimeter road, to east of the approach/departure path (Shifting to west as the sun came around). A few of my best shots of the weekend came from the road.

This year I also signed up for all available photopass days, but again I will face the same travel timing issues (not your problem, I know). As such I was again considering shooting the Thursday and Monday from the outside to self-accommodate my timing issues and take advantage of being able to move during the day as the sun comes around.

So the above message is disappointing. If I am reading the the above correctly it appears that the northern perimeter road will be closed to traffic on the Thursday and Monday. I am curious as to the rationale for this? Is there an aerobatic safety box in place for Thursday or Monday? Were there any traffic safety issues last year (The local police took no issue that I saw last year)? Given that many other shows don't block off the public perimeter roads on arrival/departure days (Nellis, RIAT etc) I am surprised by this development.

Still very much looking forward to the show, but this takes a bit of the shine off.

Mark
0 x

JetChuter

Post by JetChuter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 am

mstares wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 pm Nick,

First of all congratulations on last year's show. I flew up from Newfoundland, and it was worth every penny. The organization, line-up, lay out and light(except Saturday, but hey that's beyond your control) were all great. My experience last year and the announced line up for this year have convinced me to travel up for the show again.

While I signed up for all available photopass days last year, I shot the Thursday and the Monday from outside. This initially was due to travel timing issues but it worked out well as I could shoot earlier departures/arrivals with the sun at my back, along the northern perimeter road, to east of the approach/departure path (Shifting to west as the sun came around). A few of my best shots of the weekend came from the road.

This year I also signed up for all available photopass days, but again I will face the same travel timing issues (not your problem, I know). As such I was again considering shooting the Thursday and Monday from the outside to self-accommodate my timing issues and take advantage of being able to move during the day as the sun comes around.

So the above message is disappointing. If I am reading the the above correctly it appears that the northern perimeter road will be closed to traffic on the Thursday and Monday. I am curious as to the rationale for this? Is there an aerobatic safety box in place for Thursday or Monday? Were there any traffic safety issues last year (The local police took no issue that I saw last year)? Given that many other shows don't block off the public perimeter roads on arrival/departure days (Nellis, RIAT etc) I am surprised by this development.

Still very much looking forward to the show, but this takes a bit of the shine off.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for your kind words. I just run social media & do some extra things to help out - the real congratulations should be going to the Board and Air Ops team, as well as the hard working volunteers who make the show work as well as it does. I really appreciate the kind words. Really glad to hear you're returning back again this year! We're amazed at how many people are making the long trips in for the show.

With the photopit pass, if you bought the bundle package the road closures will be of no issue to you. You will have early access before the show, so capturing some of the arrivals will be of no concern. I do understand the disappointment though - from someone being a spectator last year, it would be a total buzz kill to know I didn't have the chance again. As I mentioned above, my team is still awaiting on the final word from officials on Severity, times & what roads will be unavailable for public access. I don't want to be the one to say you won't get access & suddenly roads are open and I look like a schmuck. But I also don't want people to make their plans based on the fact that "Hey, last year it was open so why would it change this year?" - it's a tough spot at the moment. I just encourage EVERYONE to hold off on making these plans until we give official word via social media pages.

There are multiple factors that play into road closures for this show. First off, the northern roads are in the Aerobatic box. So during Friday practices, these roads will be closed anyway. Safety is also a concern, I'm sure the LPD doesn't want 300 cars sitting on Creamery as aircraft are landing or departing very close. Not that it's been an issue in the past, but I assume with the volume and type of aircraft attending, it posses a little more a safety concern. Traffic is also something that plays into this as well, we want home owners on these streets to have easy access to their residence without having to pile there way through mass crowds of vehicles and people. For roads like Robins Hill Rd, Crumlin Rd, Huron Rd - they're all closed anyway because it's on Airshow Grounds, also so they can keep a steady flow of traffic through there, as you know the road network is tricky. Another one I can recall is the possibility of garbage being left around the roads, property being altered in ways, farmers crops being used as a parking lot, etc.

These aren't OFFICIAL reasons of what will result in strict road closures. But these are things that I myself can see being reasons for this.

To cap it off. Please keep an eye out on the social media pages for posts regarding this - we're waiting for the finalized info to become available before we post about it. I made the comment above to people to WARN them about the possibility of strict road closures - so please caution this.

More info will be public soon.
Last edited by JetChuter on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Cheers,
Nick

AirshowLondon.com
652 Elizabeth Street Unit 119
London, Ontario

mstares

Post by mstares » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 am

Nick,

Thanks for the candid reply, we'll see how it shakes out.

Cheers

Mark
0 x

miker5012

Post by miker5012 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Yes, it is correct the the F-4 that belongs to the Collings Foundation is not allowed to put the wheels of that plane on the ground international. Now..I don't know if that rules out a fly by of sorts in the future but if the plane needs to land at London to be a part of the show, then it will never happen
0 x

jared181920

Post by jared181920 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

The schedule has been released!!!

http://airshowlondon.com/show-schedule/
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Some interesting omissions on the schedule :

Jerry Conley's Vampire
Randy Ball's MiG-17
Pete McLeod
CC-115 Buffalo ( Saturday only)

I also feel the Friday show is a carbon copy of the Saturday and Sunday show. Not a bad thing at all! But I figured some static arrivals would be sprinkled into part of the Friday show, like last year.

The RAAF KC-30 is interesting.

I also would have hoped they would highlight certain aircraft flying only on certain days (ie: F-15 Friday/Saturday only)

Don't take this as bitching lol. Just observations, especially with the F-15 not being specified for certain days on the released schedule.

One week away!
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

jared181920

Post by jared181920 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I noticed those omissions as well after the excitement had passed, lol.

I guess we shall see if there are any revisions to the schedule, or clarifications. Slightly disappointed the Snowbirds won't be performing on Friday night like they did last year, but it's still a pretty full night of flying that's for sure!
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I think @JetChuter is working on seeing if there is any changes to the schedule that was just posted.

Have I mentioned...one week?!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Definitely the wrong schedule was thrown up there as Randy Ball has it on his schedule as a night show so he should be performing Friday night.Interesting to see if the units they posted are the ones coming ,same F-15 and F-16 squadrons as last year.I doubt the KC-30 was performing unless it arrives during the Friday night show.Like Dan said 1 more week 8-)
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”