Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:00 am

wfooshee wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:54 pm I'm going through my own images. My one disappointment with the show was the very low (for this area) humidity, which resulted in almost no vapor from the jets, even in the 700+ mph passes. Nothing except for wisps from the F-35, and the normal trails from the strakes on the F-16 and the F-18s, and even those were only on the severest pulls. Otherwise, it was indeed a great day, on both days.

Fat Albert received a water salute after its Saturday demonstration, I think for someone's final flight with the team (I couldn't quite hear the PA.) I don't know if it was final flight, or maybe retirement. It was exciting, though, as I've never seen this in person!
Good lord those speaker towers are an eyesore. The base didn't have them in the two years I went (2006 - when the Super Hornet had two tires burst on landing, and 2011 - when they had all those Centennial jets on display) and in fact, I vividly recall all speakers were in the crowd area.

Very nice photos and write-up! As for the water cannon salute, I can say I've seen my share of them at airshows over the last 30-40 years but never for the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds.
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:23 am

passedgas46 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:00 am Good lord those speaker towers are an eyesore. The base didn't have them in the two years I went (2006 - when the Super Hornet had two tires burst on landing, and 2011 - when they had all those Centennial jets on display) and in fact, I vividly recall all speakers were in the crowd area.
Oi, I'd forgotten about those. I was a few rows back from the front so not as much of an impediment, but yeah, not pretty. Not helping matters on the Friday was the fact that the PA for the Viper Demo and the Blues (at the beginning of their show anyway) was muffled.
0 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:49 pm

Those speaker towers appeared at the 2015 show, and were actually taller then! Comparing this shot from 2015, the ad banner is actually above the top of the current tower's height, and the speakers are above that instead of behind the banner.

Another change is that the bleachers haven't been back since the homecoming show returned to the base last year, and that sucks big time.
Last edited by wfooshee on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:31 pm

wfooshee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:49 pm Those speaker towers appeared at the 2015 show, and were actually taller then! Comparing this shot from 2015, the ad banner is actually above the top of the current tower's height, and the speakers are above that instead of behind the banner.

Another change is that the bleachers haven't been back since the homecoming show returned to the base last year, and that sucks big time.
Yikes. Thanks for clarifying when they first appeared. Like I said they weren't there the two years I went and weren't there in all the videos between those years (and maybe even 2012). I suppose it's just another thing to get used to.

As for the bleachers, that stinks. I had bleacher seats in 2011 and they were okay. I'm no photographer - I carry a pair of binoculars with me but I do appreciate an elevated seat, even if it's more than 50 feet behind the crowd line. Pensacola's bleachers are not like Oceana's bleachers, which in turn, are nowhere near what you'd have at Miramar.

Maybe not next year but the year after I'll make a trip down, especially since the museum is back open to the public.
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:21 am

My top ten from Friday:

ImageMoonlit Hawks by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageSpeed of Stealth by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageOn the Edge by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageWell Done, Blues! by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageAd Astra by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageThe Hometown Heroes by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageThat's RAD!!! by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageTraining Legacy by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageTailhook Traditions by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

ImageNumber Three by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr
3 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:17 pm

Hey, it IS an air show, after all... :lol:

Look closely, as there are TWO airplanes here!

The biggest vapor puff I got all weekend.

Love me some crossovers!
Last edited by wfooshee on Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:46 pm

wfooshee wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:17 pm Hey, it IS an air show, after all... :lol:
Nailed that shot!
1 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”