2024 Pacific Airshow [Huntington Beach]

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:10 pm

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:52 am

Latest Addition: US Navy Leap Frogs Parachute Team
https://navyleapfrogs.com/leap-frogs-sh ... -main.html
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 pm

Latest Addition: US Navy F-35C Lightning II Demo Team

0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm

WOW. Southern California has one heck of an airshow... make that two with Miramar.

This one now has my attention. I've been to the LA region many times in my life but never been to Huntington Beach for anything. For anyone that's been here before I've got a few questions:

1. "General admission" means to me there's a section of beach that's probably closest to show center. Can you watch from the beach from anywhere near show center for free?

2. I imagine staying in Huntington Beach might be a bit costly this time of year. Cost isn't a factor for us, but there is a fine line between reasonable and forget about it. Any place to think about staying that could be walking distance to show center? If it means walking a mile that would be fine, too.

3. What about parking?
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 pm

Unless they add some more shows later in the year, Huntington Beach will most likely be the last ever show for the A-10 Demo Team.

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:20 am

Latest Addition: US Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet West Coast Demo Team

0 x

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm WOW. Southern California has one heck of an airshow... make that two with Miramar.

This one now has my attention. I've been to the LA region many times in my life but never been to Huntington Beach for anything. For anyone that's been here before I've got a few questions:

1. "General admission" means to me there's a section of beach that's probably closest to show center. Can you watch from the beach from anywhere near show center for free?

2. I imagine staying in Huntington Beach might be a bit costly this time of year. Cost isn't a factor for us, but there is a fine line between reasonable and forget about it. Any place to think about staying that could be walking distance to show center? If it means walking a mile that would be fine, too.

3. What about parking?

1: yes, north or south of the general admission areas on the beach offer decent viewing opportunities for free.

2: we’re local but still grabbed a hotel about 15-20 min from the beach, good old Best Western. The places within walking distance would be higher demand/higher price.

3: we parked for 30 in the downtown beach area in a structure. Other parking options are available, possibly closer beach parking, but we felt the egress was better in this structure. I believe they have a parking map that may help.
0 x

ZenKusa

Post by ZenKusa » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:34 am

passedgas46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm WOW. Southern California has one heck of an airshow... make that two with Miramar.

3. What about parking?
If you don't mind paying for parking, its quite easy if you find a structure, just make sure you get there early before the prices sky rocket!
If you DO mind paying, get there VERY early, free spaces fill up nearly instantly.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm

When you say "decent viewing opportunities" are we talking relatively close to show center? Yes, I realize show center is in the water but if you drew a straight line from the boat to the beach and used that line as show center how far are we talking here?

We haven't booked a hotel yet, but looked at ones very close to the Huntington Beach Pier (am I right in assuming show center is near the Pier?) and we're talking $2,000 or more for a multi-day stay. I stated cost isn't a factor but there's no way I'm paying that kind of money if all we're needing it for are the four Ss.

As far as parking, cost is not a factor - again, so long as it is not unreasonable. About what time each day would be a reasonable time to get there before it gets crazy?

And finally... please don't take this as a stupid question (I know leaving airshows can be a pain in the ass, known that for 40+ years) but what's it like leaving there on a Sunday afternoon/evening? We would much prefer to take a flight home on Sunday night and there's a couple flights out of LAX that leave after 10 pm that we'd consider.
0 x

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:35 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm When you say "decent viewing opportunities" are we talking relatively close to show center? Yes, I realize show center is in the water but if you drew a straight line from the boat to the beach and used that line as show center how far are we talking here?

We haven't booked a hotel yet, but looked at ones very close to the Huntington Beach Pier (am I right in assuming show center is near the Pier?) and we're talking $2,000 or more for a multi-day stay. I stated cost isn't a factor but there's no way I'm paying that kind of money if all we're needing it for are the four Ss.

As far as parking, cost is not a factor - again, so long as it is not unreasonable. About what time each day would be a reasonable time to get there before it gets crazy?

And finally... please don't take this as a stupid question (I know leaving airshows can be a pain in the ass, known that for 40+ years) but what's it like leaving there on a Sunday afternoon/evening? We would much prefer to take a flight home on Sunday night and there's a couple flights out of LAX that leave after 10 pm that we'd consider.
Show center is located on Pacific Coast Highway & Huntington Street according to their website, which puts it about .5 miles south of the pier if you follow the shoreline. We watch just northwest of the pier. Since it's a beach show, the viewing area covers 1 mile of beach, between Main St (the pier) to the north, and Beach Blvd to the South.

Saturday we've arrived between 7am and 8:30am to parking. Last year on Sunday we arrived at 10:30am and parked on the roof of the structure. Left right at 3:45 once the Thunderbirds finished and it took maybe 15-20 minutes to leave but not bad at all. I suggest you park between 7am and 8am, grab a bite at one of the local businesses, and it gives you some stress free time to relax before the show.

There's a Best Western about 2.5 miles from the pier for under $250 a night. The ones right on the beach will break the bank but they also probably offer viewing opportunities directly on property from the roof. Otherwise you're safe with a good rated Best Western, Holiday Inn, or similar within 10 miles.

No question is a stupid question. I knew none of this before I went to Huntington Beach in 2022 as my first airshow where I made the plans and it wasn't my mom driving me to the local airport. Feel free to reach out if you need anything else.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”