2024 NAS Oceana Air Show

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
sh1200

Post by sh1200 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am

First-time poster here - I'm planning my first trip to Oceana to attend the airshow on Saturday. I would really appreciate some advice on viewing aircraft movements and practice prior to the airshow. I plan on arriving on Thursday around midday and was hoping to spend the afternoon and Friday viewing movements, etc. Is this possible around the area? Are there any preferred spotting locations?

I read somewhere on the internet that many aircraft can be viewed from the Virginia Beach oceanfront. This leads me to the question: Is a beachfront hotel worth it for aircraft viewing? Or is it better to go to a more cost-effective hotel near the town center?

I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide me with. Thank you in advance!
1 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 am

sh1200 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am First-time poster here - I'm planning my first trip to Oceana to attend the airshow on Saturday. I would really appreciate some advice on viewing aircraft movements and practice prior to the airshow. I plan on arriving on Thursday around midday and was hoping to spend the afternoon and Friday viewing movements, etc. Is this possible around the area? Are there any preferred spotting locations?

I read somewhere on the internet that many aircraft can be viewed from the Virginia Beach oceanfront. This leads me to the question: Is a beachfront hotel worth it for aircraft viewing? Or is it better to go to a more cost-effective hotel near the town center?

I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide me with. Thank you in advance!
I've been to Oceana for their airshow many times since the 70s but I haven't been down there since 2017, so my info is a little dated. I've been down there many during non-airshow times, including since the pandemic, however...

There is a somewhat official aircraft viewing area off of Oceana Blvd in the bend in the road. It's a paved area that the city owns and utilizes for official use. If no one blocks the entrance or the drive-through for city vehicles then it's usually not a problem. I've seen VA Beach PD and Navy Police try and clear the area if people get hostile with the city workers. Seen a few arrests too, both for disorderly conduct/not obeying lawful orders as well as for photographing airplanes (!).

This area is off the approach end for Runways 23L and 23R and on the Thursday before airshow weekend this location is PACKED with people watching airplanes come in for the airshow as well as the Blue Angels. I've done it many times. Many people are there with big lenses and video cameras; I'm the only one with binoculars! There's usually about 100-200 people in this little "lot" and I've seen them work together and park smartly to get about 30-40 cars in this little piece of land. Others will park in the adjacent neighborhood and walk over... it's about a 500 foot walk. It is usually packed in there from 11-4:30 on Thursday but it is also closed off on Friday. I've parked in that neighborhood and walked over on Fridays since you get a full practice airshow from 10-4.

As for hotels, I've always gotten an oceanfront hotel room a few blocks away from the "Beach Blast" action on Saturday night. Back in the Tomcat days it was on the beachfront by 25th Street; today it's by 31st Street or the Hilton. I forget which... again, been a number of years since I was there. Oceanfront (or steps from the ocean) properties near the Beach Blast area put you within a 15 minute drive of Oceana... it's probably 20 minutes now. Cost usually isn't a factor and you can usually find reasonable rates since Oceana's airshows typically take place after Labor Day weekend.

You can view airplanes from the oceanfront but only during certain times. A friend of mine says he has a friend who loves to sit on the beach there drinking beers while the Blue Angels do their survey flights. Come to think of it, said beer drinker might actually be a forum member...
0 x

sh1200

Post by sh1200 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:42 am

Thanks for the great info - much appreciated!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:25 pm

📣TICKET SALES ARE LIVE!! 🎟️

The 2024 NAS Oceana Air Show is free and open to the public! But if you're interested in purchasing upgraded seating options, visit our website: https://www.oceanaairshow.com/tickets

Or go directly to AttendStar's website:

https://event.attendstar.com/event/show ... ndstar_tsp
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/wnCe6 ... tid=WC7FNe
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm

Perhaps the most important addition so far is the World's Largest Rubber Duck.

I'm hoping to make this one. Put in for the time off, but it's during one of the busiest times of the year at work and I'm already using time for London the previous weekend. We'll see what happens.
0 x
Matt

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Wed May 01, 2024 3:35 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm Perhaps the most important addition so far is the World's Largest Rubber Duck.
QUACKY LIVES!!!
ImageQuack, Quack by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr

Wouldn't mind going to this one myself. Can't see it happening, so I'm counting on yinz to post lots of photos.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed May 01, 2024 3:42 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm Perhaps the most important addition so far is the World's Largest Rubber Duck.

I'm hoping to make this one. Put in for the time off, but it's during one of the busiest times of the year at work and I'm already using time for London the previous weekend. We'll see what happens.
You want to talk about weird things at this airshow?

I presume he's local to the area but each year I went in the 2000s and 2010s they would always hire "Uncle Sam on Stilts". They're probably just trying to bring a different type of spectator group to the base.

My wife and I will be there. It'll be her first Oceana Airshow and her first time in Virginia Beach and my umpteenth time at the Oceana Airshow since the 70s but first time since 2017 (I regret not going in 2018 with the Snowbirds!).
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 pm

Latest Addition: Smoke-n-Thunder Jet Car

https://www.oceanaairshow.com/performers
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”