THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 pm

You can see a jet team @ Selfridge a few weeks earlier for a full day show for free with no parking fees either.
2 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:03 am

JBavaition wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:08 pm Any particular reason they don’t have a jet team for the second year in a row? Just curious as they usually don’t go two years in a row without a jet team, especially with the more “family” oriented drive in format.
Just the way the cookie crumbled this year. The military will be represented well, especially on the Fighting Falcon/Viper front. Things are fluid as always this time of the year. 2024 will be an exceptional warbird year. As pointed out above, plenty of jet team visits to Michigan this year. Selfridge, Traverse City, and Battle Creek.

The Erickson Aircraft Collection's P-38L Lightning "Tangerine" has been added.
Last edited by Bretten Bailey on Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

robert16627

Post by robert16627 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:35 am

JBavaition wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:08 pm
Bretten Bailey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm Wasn't trying to get into anything with the pricing and such. Just that it shows the lowest as $99 but that its dynamic so that's why the pricing is higher when you got to purchase.

As for the two show format and drive-in, it is pretty good pricing for families (and some have stated they prefer to attend just one of the two shows) but, unfortunately, I do see how it can alienate those that travel alone. Plus, having to spend extra for a full day, I totally get the frustration (and it frustrates me too). Unfortunately, we're just forced to ride with it for the time being.

A few additions:
-The Great War Flying Museum's Fokker D.VII
-The Great War Flying Museum's N.28
-The Great War Flying Museum's Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
Any particular reason they don’t have a jet team for the second year in a row? Just curious as they usually don’t go two years in a row without a jet team, especially with the more “family” oriented drive in format.
ICAS convention is next week and demo team schedules will be released then, best to wait until that comes out before you form an opinion on that aspect.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:08 am

Set to perform at Ypsilanti next summer is the USAF F-16 Viper Demo Team.
0 x

Imladris18

Post by Imladris18 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:20 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:03 am The Erickson Aircraft Collection's P-38L Lightning "Tangerine" has been added.
Awesome addition! My favorite WWII bird, and it's becoming increasingly rare to see in this part of the country.
0 x

Mlamb99

Post by Mlamb99 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:49 am

I am really excited to see that there will be a P-38 Lightning at this years show. I hope that commitment sticks. Looking forward to the show this year and praying for good weather.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:37 am

This year will be the last time Rob Reider announces at Thunder Over Michigan as he's retiring at the end of the '24 season.

https://www.facebook.com/RobAnnouncer/p ... %2CO%2CP-R
0 x

miker5012

Post by miker5012 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:20 am

You would be 100% correct. I have left several comments on TOM Facebook page , only for them to be deleted and the last time I was blocked. I wasn’t being disrespectful, or mean spirited in anyway. I was just explaining that for a single person, the drive in format seems to discriminate against us. As soon as I post that, it’s immediately deleted. Thunder over Michigan used to be one of my favorite airshows, along with the airshow in London, ON. But both of them switched to this drive in format, and the pricing is absolutely ridiculous. Why would anyone pay those prices when they could travel to Battle Creek or Selfridge and save a ton of money.
What I find comical is this: The TOM heads and the airshow London bosses have both told me that “we have polled the people at the airshow and 90% of them like the drive in format.”… wait so you polled the people at the show ? The ones who can afford to waste that kind of money on tickets? Gee one would think you would get 100% approval if you poll the people at the show. Here’s an idea.. trying polling everyone outside of the airshow. If you still get 90%, I’ll eat my words and pay for a ticket. Until then, I will save my money and go to field of flight, Oshkosh, and I hear the show in Milwaukee will have the demonstration team from Italy
2 x

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 am

miker5012 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:20 am You would be 100% correct. I have left several comments on TOM Facebook page , only for them to be deleted and the last time I was blocked. I wasn’t being disrespectful, or mean spirited in anyway. I was just explaining that for a single person, the drive in format seems to discriminate against us. As soon as I post that, it’s immediately deleted. Thunder over Michigan used to be one of my favorite airshows, along with the airshow in London, ON. But both of them switched to this drive in format, and the pricing is absolutely ridiculous. Why would anyone pay those prices when they could travel to Battle Creek or Selfridge and save a ton of money.
What I find comical is this: The TOM heads and the airshow London bosses have both told me that “we have polled the people at the airshow and 90% of them like the drive in format.”… wait so you polled the people at the show ? The ones who can afford to waste that kind of money on tickets? Gee one would think you would get 100% approval if you poll the people at the show. Here’s an idea.. trying polling everyone outside of the airshow. If you still get 90%, I’ll eat my words and pay for a ticket. Until then, I will save my money and go to field of flight, Oshkosh, and I hear the show in Milwaukee will have the demonstration team from Italy
Finally, someone else brought up the fact that they only survey the ticket holders and not the actual general public. The survey results have been my number one complaint because of how skewed the results always are. You just found a better way to phrase it than me.
1 x

miker5012

Post by miker5012 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:07 pm

This is how I broke it down the the people at airshow London: Imagine being a teacher of a 3rd grade class room. You want to schedule a class trip to the zoo. This is a special zoo, one that charges $30 a ticket. Out of the 40 students, only 20 of them could afford to go to the zoo. The other 20 had to stay home. After a long day at the zoo, the teacher asks everyone on the bus when heading home “hey did you all have a good time”.. all the kids scream Yessss! So the teacher thinks the trip was a success. Not because it actually was, half the kids didn’t get to go..but because she polled the fortunate kids and they gave it the stamp of approval
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”