THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
iamsam2407

Post by iamsam2407 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:32 am

I'd think about coming if they got 100 F-16s to fly around. That'd be cool.
0 x

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:52 pm

CAF’s P-63A Kingcobra, P-51D Mustang, and FG-1D Corsair were added.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:19 pm

ssims45 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:33 pm It appears TOM is actively shadow banning ALL negative comments on their Facebook page. As someone who routinely attends airshows alone or with one additional family member the drive-in format is a non-starter for me. TOM's answer is to offer a $285 club ticket (at the time of this post) for individuals which is a step in the right direction. I'm also seeing some comments (before they disappear) that the price is changing minute-to-minute which seems a little scammy...this isn't Uber TOM surge pricing isn't cool for them either! The one bonus of the expensive club ticket is that it's an all day ticket meaning the stupid 4 individual show format is a little less impactful.
The prices are still high and the drive-in format needs to go. This airshow and a couple other airshows are getting into theme park-like pricing and that's not where you go if you want to impress the families with young kids. Removing all negative comments? I would think an organizer should go out of their way to address those; it's very unprofessional and unethical to go to delete route (and ban).

Thunder Over Michigan was (note the past tense) one event that was on my radar pre- and post-COVID. From what everyone on these forums have stated, it's now no longer on my radar. It's a good thing there's something in my neck of the woods that same weekend, and I'll be more than glad to support that event.
1 x

Laskow2

Post by Laskow2 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:24 am

what am i missing here, I'm seeing 99 per show but its 149 in the cart per show which makes it 300 bucks for a typical all-day event ....Are these tickets refundable? with this amount of money its hard to purchase after a lot of people learned the hard way at INDY
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:42 pm

Laskow2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:24 am what am i missing here, I'm seeing 99 per show but its 149 in the cart per show which makes it 300 bucks for a typical all-day event ....Are these tickets refundable? with this amount of money its hard to purchase after a lot of people learned the hard way at INDY
Appears to be a mistake, they have just removed that ticket option. I'm guessing it will be back up soon with the correct price. Either price is too much.
Last edited by BruceK on Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:10 pm

The pricing is presently $149 per vehicle for the standard show. It started at $99 and enough were sold to be at the $149 price now. The pricing caps out at $199 per car per show. Lots of shows are adopting this dynamic ticket pricing model now. Thunder was just one of the first to really roll with it.

The Great War Flying Museum's Fokker DR.1 Triplane has also been added.
Last edited by Bretten Bailey on Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:42 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:10 pm Lots of shows are adopting this dynamic ticket pricing model now. Thunder was just one of the first to really roll with it.
That may be, and I've seen many events sharply discount general admission, but not for those high prices, and certainly not for the format. Sorry.
0 x

Imladris18

Post by Imladris18 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:37 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:10 pm The pricing is presently $149 per vehicle for the standard show. It started at $99 and enough were sold to be at the $149 price now. The pricing caps out at $199 per car per show. Lots of shows are adopting this dynamic ticket pricing model now. Thunder was just one of the first to really roll with it.

The Great War Flying Museum's Fokker DR.1 Triplane has also been added.
Just because a lot of shows are adopting it doesn't mean it's good or we need to be okay with it.

It feels like a scummy, anti-consumer trend that I hope ends sooner rather than later (the frustration isn't at you, I know this isn't your decision).
Last edited by Imladris18 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Wasn't trying to get into anything with the pricing and such. Just that it shows the lowest as $99 but that its dynamic so that's why the pricing is higher when you got to purchase.

As for the two show format and drive-in, it is pretty good pricing for families (and some have stated they prefer to attend just one of the two shows) but, unfortunately, I do see how it can alienate those that travel alone. Plus, having to spend extra for a full day, I totally get the frustration (and it frustrates me too because this is a show that really is close to my heart and it pains to read on the forums sometimes). Unfortunately, we're just forced to ride with it for the time being.

A few additions:
-The Great War Flying Museum's Fokker D.VII
-The Great War Flying Museum's N.28
-The Great War Flying Museum's Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
Last edited by Bretten Bailey on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:08 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm Wasn't trying to get into anything with the pricing and such. Just that it shows the lowest as $99 but that its dynamic so that's why the pricing is higher when you got to purchase.

As for the two show format and drive-in, it is pretty good pricing for families (and some have stated they prefer to attend just one of the two shows) but, unfortunately, I do see how it can alienate those that travel alone. Plus, having to spend extra for a full day, I totally get the frustration (and it frustrates me too). Unfortunately, we're just forced to ride with it for the time being.

A few additions:
-The Great War Flying Museum's Fokker D.VII
-The Great War Flying Museum's N.28
-The Great War Flying Museum's Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
Any particular reason they don’t have a jet team for the second year in a row? Just curious as they usually don’t go two years in a row without a jet team, especially with the more “family” oriented drive in format.
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”