RAF Red Arrows 2024

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Adam

RAF Red Arrows 2024

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm

The Red Arrows have just undertaken their first 9-ship display practice of the year - several weeks earlier than this milestone is usually achieved. It's the first time the Reds have flown as a 9-ship (excluding flyovers and transit flights) since late 2021.

This year's sequence looks very interesting, and quite different to the past few years. Some notable highlights:

- The show will start in Short Diamond formation for the first time since the mid-2000s
- The flat version of the 5-4 Split returns for the first time in 24 years, followed by a Frecce Tricolori-esque 9-ship opposition pass, a staple of Red Arrows displays in the 1990s
- There is a new 4-ship split to mark the team's 60th anniversary
- Python has been modified and combined with a line-abreast 360 degree turn
- There also seems to be a new Corkscrew-style manoeuvre, possibly just for the flat/rolling shows

Although not confirmed, it is expected that the 2024 season will see them fly at UK shows from late May until late July, and at Canadian shows in August and the first half of September.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:40 pm

Photos!
1 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 pm

Adam wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm Although not confirmed, it is expected that the 2024 season will see them fly at UK shows from late May until late July, and at Canadian shows in August and the first half of September.
Any rumors of US shows?
Last edited by BruceK on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:01 pm

SIXTY seasons of dynamic displays inspiring millions of people will be celebrated by the Red Arrows in 2024.

The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team officially launched their diamond anniversary campaign today – including unveiling special artwork that will be carried on each of the team’s distinctive Hawk jets.

A new nine-aircraft show is part of plans for the milestone season, featuring manoeuvres not seen for a generation in the Red Arrows’ display routine, which changes each year.

Also announced today is a five-week overseas tour by the team, staged later this summer, to help mark the centennial of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Squadron Leader Jon Bond, who will be the Team Leader – flying as Red 1 – for the first time in 2024, said: “The whole of the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team is focussed on celebrating 60 display seasons in the best way possible – performing the Red Arrows’ trademark Diamond Nine formation in our diamond year, for families to enjoy across the United Kingdom and further afield.

“Having been to many airshows as a child, I hope our new team and exciting show will have the same impact on those watching in 2024 as it did on me as a young person – to be inspired through what teamwork can achieve and spur a lifelong passion for aviation.

"I encourage families and individuals of all ages and backgrounds to join with us in this Diamond Season, especially by attending brilliant events and sharing their fantastic pictures online – of this summer’s displays and flypasts as well as those carefully kept from yesteryear.
“We’ve already been inundated with well-wishes and messages, letting us know how much people are excited by the prospect of the new display at airshows this season.”

The Red Arrows formed in 1964, as an amalgamation of previous RAF teams, with a first public performance at Little Rissington in May 1965 – heralding the inaugural display season.

Since then, almost 5,000 shows have been completed in 57 countries in front of hundreds of millions of people and at everything from country fairs and major airshows to international events and state occasions.

The anniversary artwork, applied on the side and tailfin of the team’s aircraft, acknowledges the Diamond Season and includes outlines of two Red Arrows Hawk jets, trailing patriotic colours.

Squadron Leader Bond said: “The logos are a subtle, yet stylish, nod towards the team’s heritage but are also a reminder that our aim is very much to inspire for the future.

“For example, many of the events we’ll be part of this year will bring people together to encourage individuals to look at the importance of the STEM subjects of science, technology, engineering and maths and the role they play in powering the work of the RAF.”

Preparations for the new season are underway at the team’s home base of RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire, with the first nine-aircraft formation of the year flown earlier this week during a training sortie – bringing back an iconic shape not seen since 2021.

It is expected the first public show of the 2024 campaign will be in late-May.

UK and mainland European displays are expected to be staged in May, June, July, the first half of August and early-October. Dates for these shows – coordinated by the RAF’s Events Team – will be released shortly.

The tour to Canada, named Maple Hawk, will not take place until the second-half of August and follows an invitation made by the Royal Canadian Air Force.

There will be a combination of flypasts, ground engagements and displays, with appearances at established airshows including:

Air Show Atlantic – Greenwood, Nova Scotia
Canadian International Air Show – Toronto, Ontario
Airshow London – London, Ontario
Aero Gatineau-Ottawa – Quebec

Wing Commander Adam Collins, Officer Commanding of the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, said: “The Red Arrows are excited, and honoured, to return to Canada in 2024 to help celebrate the centennial of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

“The visit will highlight the strength of the long and enduring partnership between the United Kingdom’s military and Canada’s Armed Forces.

“Whether at home or overseas, we’re looking forward as a team – especially to the prospect of meeting countless people, performing our new Diamond Season display and creating many memories and great moments at airshows and events.”

Continue checking the Red Arrows’ online and social media channels for more information on events marking the Diamond Season in 2024.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2024/02/ai ... son-plans/
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 pm

BruceK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 pm
Any rumors of US shows?
Looks like from a previous conversation I had with a good friend and the bevy of announcements here and on social media, this is strictly Canadian airshows and cities only.

It'd be nice to see something on the beginning end in the USA but that's wishful thinking. We had Toronto on our list, crossed it off, but might reconsider. The last time I was there I saw seven people lose their lives.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:09 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 pm
BruceK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 pm
Any rumors of US shows?
Looks like from a previous conversation I had with a good friend and the bevy of announcements here and on social media, this is strictly Canadian airshows and cities only.

It'd be nice to see something on the beginning end in the USA but that's wishful thinking. We had Toronto on our list, crossed it off, but might reconsider. The last time I was there I saw seven people lose their lives.
If your schedule permits, look at London the weekend after Toronto.Especially if you love military assets.
2 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:07 pm

yyz64 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:09 pm
If your schedule permits, look at London the weekend after Toronto.Especially if you love military assets.
Isn't London two weeks after Toronto?

I remember seeing and reading about the build-up for last year's London's airshow on here. Honestly wish I had gone. However, this year's airshow falls on the same weekend as a local airshow that I had always wanted to go to. It's also a week before NAS Oceana and at my age, I wouldn't want to go from here to Canada and back AND then a few days later here to Virginia Beach and back.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:12 am

passedgas46 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:07 pm
yyz64 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:09 pm
Isn't London two weeks after Toronto?

I remember seeing and reading about the build-up for last year's London's airshow on here. Honestly wish I had gone. However, this year's airshow falls on the same weekend as a local airshow that I had always wanted to go to. It's also a week before NAS Oceana and at my age, I wouldn't want to go from here to Canada and back AND then a few days later here to Virginia Beach and back.
Oops you are correct there is a 2 week gap. Well make sure you make it to London someday, it'll be worth it.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 pm

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2024/03/ai ... ates-2024/\
May
21st – Battle of Crete Commemoration, Souda Bay, Greece
25th – Meeting Aérien International Du Grand Est, Chambley, France
31st – Midlands Air Festival, Ragley Hall, Warwickshire

June
1st-2nd – Midlands Air Festival, Ragley Hall, Warwickshire
1st – English Riviera Airshow, Paighton, Devon
2nd – IWM Duxford Summer Airshow, Cambridgeshire
5th – D-Day 80th National Commemorative Event Flypast, Portsmouth, Hampshire
6th – D-Day 80th National Commemorative Event Flypast, Normandy, France
7th – Isle of Man TT Races, Douglas, Isle of Man
9th – RAF Cosford Air Show, Shropshire
13th – Guernsey Battle of Britain Air Display, Channel Islands
15th – HM The King’s Birthday Flypast, London (flypast-only)
16th – Sola Airshow, Norway
22nd – The Scottish Traditional Boat Festival, Portsoy, Scotland
23rd – Sywell Airshow 2024, Northamptonshire
29th – North East Lincolnshire Armed Forces Weekend, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire
29th – Shuttleworth Festival of Flight, Old Warden, Bedfordshire
30th – Folkestone Armed Forces’ Day, Kent

July
5th – Battle of Britain Airshow, Headcorn, Kent
6th – Teignmouth Airshow, Devon
6th – Somerset Armed Forces Day Flypast, Taunton, Somerset
6th – Wales Airshow, Swansea, South Wales
7th – British Grand Prix, Silverstone, Northamptonshire
11th-12th – Goodwood Festival of Speed, West Sussex
13th-14th – Southport Airshow, Lancashire
19th-21st – Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire
27th - Farnborough International Airshow, Hampshire (Flypast)

August
10th - Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – (flypast-only)
10th-11th - Blackpool Airshow, Lancashire
15th - Airbourne, Eastbourne International Airshow, East Sussex
24th-25th – Air Show Atlantic, Canadian Forces Base Greenwood, Nova Scotia, Canada
28th – Niagara Falls Flypast, Ontario, Canada
31st – Canadian International Air Show, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

September
1st – Canadian International Air Show, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4th – Ottawa Flypast, Ontario, Canada
6th-8th – Aero Gatineau-Ottawa, Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport, Quebec, Canada
13th-15th – Airshow London, London International Airport, Ontario, Canada
18th – Montreal Flypast, Quebec, Canada

October
5th - IWM Duxford Flying Finale, Cambridgeshire
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x