First State Airshow 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:56 pm

Cameron Walz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:03 am Didn’t say anything other than if it is sunny.
You're good.

On better news, my wife and I got invited to the Friday show by a friend who is stationed at Dover. We're excited about that!
1 x

Cameron Walz

Post by Cameron Walz » Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm

That's awesome! Weather looks good for then as of right now. I also heard Cherry Point is a mess right now. Hopefully Dover is not the same.
0 x
NKAWTG!

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:56 pm

Cameron Walz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm I also heard Cherry Point is a mess right now. Hopefully Dover is not the same.
I've seen some of the comments on here and on social media. Saying that it's a mess is probably the understatement of the century. I've seen it, been there, done that many times. In my decades of airshows, both McGuire and Willow Grove were always the worst to get into and out of.

Two years ago when Dover last had their airshow, our entire group were among the last into the base before security forces decided to stop movements onto the base for ~20 minutes. I have no idea why. It created quite the jam through the North Gate and the surrounding roads.

They'll send everyone onto the northern end of the main ramp but to get there, the one or two roads are one lane each way. It's maybe a mile of twisting and turning and then you'll either be dumped onto Route 1, Route 10, or Bay Road, depending on the way they take you.

What most people don't seem to grasp (most of us here do, I hope!) is that the infrastructure is simply not designed to handle tens of thousands of vehicles all trying to get to one place at the same time and conversely, exiting at the same time. If it was, it'd be a massive security issue.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Sat May 11, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

TitoDE

Post by TitoDE » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am

passedgas46 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:56 pm
Cameron Walz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:03 am Didn’t say anything other than if it is sunny.
You're good.

On better news, my wife and I got invited to the Friday show by a friend who is stationed at Dover. We're excited about that!
My company is one of the sponsors and I will be there all 3 days. Live less than 2 miles away. The Friday show is always a blast seeing active duty and veterans enjoy with families and school kids. Just wish they would have vendors open and ready on Friday as well. Usuallly they aren’t open for business Friday. The VIP Friday night event is cool too in years past the had night burner passes from an F-15C and F-22A. 🙏 for a few from the F-35A.
0 x

gerclr

Post by gerclr » Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

If you believe the base p/r person who answered a question posted on Facebook, the 100 ml of water is not a typo. No reason not to believe this person, but it is Facebook after all.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:19 pm

TitoDE wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am My company is one of the sponsors and I will be there all 3 days. Live less than 2 miles away. The Friday show is always a blast seeing active duty and veterans enjoy with families and school kids. Just wish they would have vendors open and ready on Friday as well. Usuallly they aren’t open for business Friday. The VIP Friday night event is cool too in years past the had night burner passes from an F-15C and F-22A. 🙏 for a few from the F-35A.
I was on base for the Friday shows in 2019 and 2022 all thanks to the same friend who is bringing us on this year. We weren't at the party in 2022 but we're going to this year's party. I do remember that twilight show on Friday night in 2019 and that was awesome to see. Based on the TFR information a twilight show seems like it's not happening this year.
gerclr wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm If you believe the base p/r person who answered a question posted on Facebook, the 100 ml of water is not a typo. No reason not to believe this person, but it is Facebook after all.
I texted two friends about this. One said he'd talk with them and see if that was a typo. I never heard back about that, so I assume it fell on deaf ears. The other (the one who is inviting us on base) said he couldn't believe it was not a typo and strongly believes security forces are trying to prohibit many other things that were allowed in past airshows, such as food/drinks, large bags/camera bags, and he had also heard there were thoughts about camera restrictions as well but that was shot down.

100ml of water is miniscule. You want a better idea how much water that is? Go to Walmart, Target, CVS, etc. and go to the travel section and find the biggest bottle of mouthwash in that section of the store. That's how big of a sealed bottle of water you're allowed. That's TSA-sized. You can buy reusable 22oz water bottles for $1 at Walmart - I have several myself and I intend to bring them.
0 x

Cameron Walz

Post by Cameron Walz » Mon May 13, 2024 2:23 am

Anyone have an idea what day the schedule and map will come out for the show?
1 x
NKAWTG!

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:50 am

Cameron Walz wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:23 am Anyone have an idea what day the schedule and map will come out for the show?
According to our host, he said no later than Wednesday for both; but it could be earlier. I've seen quite a few "We're tying up loose ends" responses regarding the schedule from Schultz Airshows, which I get because it's more than just randomly slapping together a schedule and then later realizing there's a conflict or three on the ground.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Mon May 13, 2024 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

schultzairshows

Post by schultzairshows » Mon May 13, 2024 10:06 am

Dover AFB Public Affairs has the public schedule for review and release. We worked the final schedule late last week. Gates will open at 9am and flying starts a little before noon and lasts until a little after 4pm.

It's a packed schedule!

David Schultz, President
David Schultz Airshows
3 x

Cameron Walz

Post by Cameron Walz » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am

Thank you gentlemen! 🫡
1 x
NKAWTG!

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”